It’s also important to think about the materials of the earrings too, after all, you don’t have to give your baby an allergic reaction because of their earrings.
If you want to pierce your baby’s ears but don’t know where to start with searching for the safest, most appropriate earrings for your little one, then you’re in luck!
Our article takes you through the best earrings for babies, as well as all the factors to keep in mind when shopping.
Types Of Earrings For Babies
- Butterfly back earrings: These are the most popular earrings with a backing that loops back onto itself. This is where the earring gets its name from, as it looks like a little butterfly. To put this earring on your baby, slide the post through the piercing until you feel the lobe against it.
- Safety stud earrings: You will need to push a round and flat back onto the earring post until you hear it click. Once it clicks, the earring is safely secured on your baby’s ear.
- Screw-back earrings: As the name suggests, these earrings have a post that twists into a closed backing, much like putting a screw into a precut hole. To put these earrings on your baby, slide the post through the piercing and use the backing to secure it. Twist the earring to achieve the most comfortable fit.
Best Baby Earrings Reviews
Today, we’re going to be reviewing 12 of the best baby earrings on the market right now.
Below, you’ll find hypoallergenic earrings made out of safe materials for your baby’s sensitive ears, as well as secure earrings that lower the risk of choking hazards. Let’s get into it!
Coming in a sealed, sterilized blister package, these earrings can be easily removed thanks to the self-piercing cartridge that is suitable for ears that are already pierced.
They’re also embedded with six pink crystal daisy petals with a rainbow center.
They measure ⅛ inches and are made of gold electroplate surgical stainless steel that is hypoallergenic.
- These earrings have a round, clear cubic Zirconia CZ.
- Fade-resistant sparkler.
- These earrings are perfect for everyday wear.
- Made of hypoallergenic metal.
- Some customers have found the posts too long.
- You may find the earrings sag in the front.
Made of 14K solid yellow gold and three-millimeter round cubic zirconia, these earrings have secure screw backs that are stamped with ‘14K’ so you know they’re the real thing! Plus, they come with a comfortable backing and safety clutch.
- Has a basket setting style.
- Has a classic screw-back design.
- Made of 14k solid yellow gold and round cut CZ.
- Has four-prong settings.
- Some customers found the stem too short.
- We found the screw post difficult to adjust sometimes.
These gold hoop earrings are classic yet stylish, and as they are clip-ons they are perfect earrings for your little one without having to pierce their ears.
These earrings have been made from mixed metal with a gold tone and measure about 1.25 inches in diameter. The easy-clip closure makes them even more comfortable on non-pierced ears.
- As these earrings are clip-ons, they’re far less painful for your baby.
- Their easy-clip closure means they won’t pinch your baby’s ears.
- They are thicker than most hoops.
- They are a bit on the heavy side, so we wouldn’t recommend them for everyday wear.
With the official stamp of approval from Disney, these Minnie Mouse earrings with pink bows are adorable for your little one while still looking sophisticated and elegant. Plus, they have a post and nut clasp, making their closure reliable and secure.
- The earrings are made of 925 sterling silver.
- The design features an iconic, child-friendly character.
- The rose gold-plated accents make the earrings elegant and beautiful.
- Comes in an authentic gift box.
- If the earrings are worn for too long, then the stem may hurt.
- If not handled properly the earrings may bend.
Made of AAAAA cubic zirconia, these cat-shaped earrings with a stunning, freshwater cultured pearl are perfect if you’re a cat person!
The earrings measure around 0.27 inches, and the pearl measures around 7.0-7.5 mm.
- These silver stud earrings are made of solid 925 sterling silver.
- The earrings come in a box with a jewelry polish cloth so you can keep the earrings clean.
- They have a stunning pearl detail.
- The earrings come with silver and plastic backs.
- As the cat ears are quite small, they are not very noticeable.
- Some customers found the earrings to be on the small side.
These earrings are available in black, gold, rose gold, and silver and are made of 316L stainless steel – so no need to worry about rusting!
Furthermore, they are safe for your baby’s sensitive skin, as well as being lightweight and delicate so your baby can wear them comfortably.
- The earrings are very delicate, and are only 1 mm thick.
- Made out of hypoallergenic materials.
- They are rust-resistant and stain-resistant.
- Available in a variety of colors.
- We don’t believe these earrings would be suitable for your baby to wear all day.
These super adorable CZ earrings would be the cherry on top of all of your baby’s outfits!
These beautifully crafted earrings are made out of 14k yellow gold, making them perfect for sensitive earlobes. Plus, the screw backs make sure they remain in your baby’s ears and fit them comfortably.
- The bezel set stone is lightweight, measuring 3 mm.
- Made out of round CZ.
- Perfect for sensitive earlobes.
- Some customers found them difficult to secure.
- Some customers also thought they were a bit on the small side.
Ideal for everyday use, these tiny, beautiful hoop earrings are made out of durable 14k gold, and are hypoallergenic too, being lead-free and nickel-free. Plus, these earrings make a perfect gift as they come to you beautifully packaged.
- These earrings are durable, as they are made out of 14k gold.
- They’re environmentally friendly, as they are made of 100% recycled materials.
- The push-back lock makes them extra secure.
- We found the posts to be rather short, and the hoop a bit wide.
These animal-inspired earrings are perfect if your baby is a little animal lover, and are a fun, whimsical addition to your child’s wardrobe.
These turtle-shaped earrings are made of 925 sterling silver, a natural metal that doesn’t damage your baby’s sensitive skin.
- These earrings are lightweight, with the threaded posts measuring 7 mm.
- The screw back ensures the earrings cannot easily come off.
- They’re made of hypoallergenic metal to protect your baby’s skin.
- Features pink cubic zirconia.
- Some customers found that the pink CZ wasn’t that bright.
- We found that the earrings were prone to bending.
This set of earrings comes with 5 pairs in rose gold, 316L stainless steel, or yellow gold and with different gauge sizes.
These earrings are understated and beautiful, as well as being 100% lead-free and nickel-free, making them perfect for a baby’s sensitive skin.
- The earrings are made of high-quality 316L stainless steel that is perfect for sensitive skin.
- The 3 different colors and the fact that these earrings can be worn by babies and toddlers makes them great value for money.
- They come in a variety of sizes as well as a variety of colors.
- We found the plastic backs a little awkward to screw on.
- If the back isn’t tight enough, the earring posts are likely to fall off.
These earrings are unique and dainty, with screw-backs that make sure they stay in place. These tiny heart earrings are also beautifully plated in 14k yellow gold and the perfect size for baby ears.
- The screw backs are child-friendly.
- These earrings have been safety-tested so you can be confident putting them on your baby.
- The dainty heart earrings are lightweight, measuring 4 mm.
- Although these earrings are lightweight, they may be bulky for young babies.
These minimalist, classic earrings are great for newborn earrings, and have a screwback mechanism that keeps them safely in place.
The smallest size they come in is 3 mm, which is why they’re so great for newborn earrings, as it’s difficult to find earrings with posts this short. Plus, they are nickel-free and also made of solid gold.
- These earrings come with a branded MASSETTE certificate, so you know they’re legitimate.
- Because the solid gold isn’t plated this elevates their quality and value.
- The best choice for newborn earrings.
- Some customers found that the earrings struggled to stay in place.
Buyer’s Guide: How To Choose The Best Earrings For Babies
Because adult earrings can be uncomfortable, scratch easily, and are also more prone to falling out, baby earrings are specially designed to avoid these problems, and there are a few factors to keep in mind when buying the right pair for your baby.
Of course, babies have small earlobes and therefore their earrings need to be just as lightweight and small so they can be as comfortable as possible.
The recommended size for baby earring posts is one-eighth-inch for newborns and one-fourth inch for older babies.
Earrings of this size are short enough to be comfortable when your baby is lying down, or when you need to change their earrings.
The recommended width for baby earrings is 2 mm to 4 mm so it fits nicely on a baby’s earlobe.
While there are a lot of earring styles out there, not all of them are suitable for babies. The best styles for babies are studs and tiny huggies.
Tiny huggies are also known as ‘huggers,’ and are small hoops that are named huggies because of how snugly they fit around your earlobe. Normally the clasp is firm enough to make it hard to pull off while being comfortable.
So your baby’s earrings are as safe as possible, make sure the huggie is the appropriate size for their earlobe.
The earrings shouldn’t be loose because they may snag on something, but they shouldn’t be overly tight as this will be uncomfortable.
Safety studs are also a safe option for babies. They have backings that click safely into place to secure the stud.
Earring backs are what keeps the earring secure and prevents them from falling out, and there are a wide range of earring backs out there.
Safety backs are the best type of backs for baby earrings, as they are easy to put on.
More importantly, they stay on. They have a locking clutch design and are commonly found on starter earrings. Screwbacks and butterfly backs are also suitable for babies.
Also known as friction backs or pushbacks, butterfly backs have an earring post that is normally a notch and acts as a stopper for the back, keeping the earring in place. Still, butterfly backs can be prone to displacement.
Screwbacks are decidedly safer than butterfly backs. The earring posts are often threaded, with the back rotated on it to keep the earring secure.
Screwbacks can be covered or uncovered, but a covered back is safer as it prevents the post from scratching and poking your baby.
Other backs – such as fishhooks – can fall off easily, while some clip-ons can add pressure on your baby’s ear and hurt them.
It’s also important to consider metal sensitivity when buying earrings for your baby.
We recommend buying baby earrings made out of hypoallergenic materials such as platinum, pure gold, sterling silver, surgical-grade stainless steel, and titanium.
Testing For Nickel
Symptoms of a nickel allergy include skin irritation and rashes, and it’s important to make sure earrings for your baby do not contain nickel.
Unfortunately, there isn’t a reliable way to tell whether a pair of earrings have nickel in them by sight alone.
Still, a lot of jewelry retailers and vendors will provide a list of metals that are contained in the earrings.
High-quality earrings are normally marketed as nickel-free, so these earrings are definitely value for money.
If you want to make doubly sure your baby’s earrings don’t contain nickel, there are a lot of commercial chemical products out there such as Nickel Solution and Nickel Alert that can help you find nickel in jewelry.
You can use these products to test the nickel by placing a few drops on a swab and cleaning the earring with them. If the swab turns pink or red, then this is a sign that the earrings have nickel in them.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Safest Jewelry For Babies?
Jewelry that is made from hypoallergenic metals like gold, sterling silver, and titanium is the safest jewelry for babies to wear.
Earrings with safety backs are the most secure, avoiding the risk of the earrings falling off and becoming a possible choking hazard.
When Should You Pierce Your Baby’s Ears?
If you would like to pierce your baby’s ears, they should be no younger than two months old, as it is likely that your baby would have received a tetanus vaccine by then.
However, others believe it’s best to wait until your baby is six months old, so that they would have received even more vaccines to protect them against infection.
However, some parents pierce their baby’s ear(s) before they even leave the hospital following the birth, and in some cultures there are certain ceremonies where babies get their ears pierced.
For example, in Hinduism girls tend to get their ears pierced between the ages of 1 and 5 years old.
Is It Okay For Babies To Wear Stainless Steel?
Stainless steel is safe for babies, but only if it is made of surgical-grade stainless steel.
While stainless steel contains alloys that some people may be allergic to, it contains very low traces of nickel, which is a metal that commonly causes reactions.
Do Ear Piercings Hurt Babies?
Because anesthesia isn’t administered during piercings, it will hurt. However, this pain will only last for a couple of minutes.
What Differentiates Newborn, Infant, And Toddler Earrings?
Children’s earlobes are naturally smaller than adult earlobes, therefore they are designed to have tighter clasps and smaller posts.
Still, there are a couple of main differences between earrings designed for babies and toddlers, but the biggest difference is that earrings designed for babies are seriously lightweight when compared to earrings for toddlers.